Born as Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr., in Louisville, Kentucky, Muhammad Ali was already a fighter-at-heart way before he became a fighter in professional boxing. Taking notice of the youthful Clay’s fierce determination and fighting spirit to a bike of his that was stolen, Joe Martin (a Louisville policeman and boxing coach) decided to train him as a young boxer. More than any other kid Martin has trained, Clay’s potential to succeed as a fighter was beyond average. His tutelage under Martin from 1954 to 1959 enabled him to win several Golden Gold titles, travel the world in fighting for titles, and win the World Light Heavyweight Gold Medal in the Rome Olympics.
As his career progressed, he defeated two other heavyweight champions—Henry Cooper and Sonny Liston—before joining the Nation of Islam and changing his name to Muhammad Ali, in 1964. The mid to late 1960s posed many challenges and controversies that affected his status as a boxer. This included not only his membership to the Nation of Islam and outspoken beliefs about his religion and whites but also his refusal to serve in the Vietnam War. He was later charged and convicted on June 20, 1967, for refusing to be drafted, which also led to his boxing license and title
being stripped away and getting banned from the boxing association for three-and-a-half years.
Ali fought the case all the way to the Supreme Court, which eventually overturned the decision on June 28, 1971. During that same year (or just a few months prior to the Supreme Courting ruling), on March 8, 1971, Ali and Joe Frazier—both of whom were undefeated heavyweight champions—battled in what was known to be one of the biggest fights in history, often referred to as the “Fight of the Century”. The fight took place in Madison Square Garden, and after 15 brutal rounds, Ali is knocked down by Frazier and loses his first professional fight. Ali fought and won a
rematch with Frazier in 1974.
On October 30, 1974, Ali won a fight with George Foreman and regained his title as Heavyweight Champion of the World by employing his invented “rope-a-dope” strategy. In the years from 1974 to 1981, Ali took on and won his third matches with Frazier and Norton and reclaimed the heavyweight title for the third time after winning a rematch with Leon Spinks in September of 1978 before losing his final match to Trevor Berbick in 1981.
Throughout his career, Ali had a total of 56 wins and 5 losses. Upon retiring in 1981 at the age of 39, Muhammad was diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease in 1984. He was a great humanitarian, an advocate of world-peace relations, a receiver of many honorary awards, and an active/world traveler in bringing about hope, healing, and peace. Like the courageous lion whose relentless determination and fearsome strength are balanced by his graceful kindness and majestic wisdom, he is truly one of “The Greatest!”
Here we have an individual whose physical birth time horoscope actually does reflect his true personality: Leo. The only problem is that it’s at a later degree than where it should be. His physical birth time of 6:35pm has 19° of Leo on the Ascendant, 12° of Taurus at the Midheaven, five of 10 planets located in the wrong houses, and Mars in a weak house placement. Ali’s INCARN chart (shown below) shows the true placements of every element in his horoscope, including his ASC at 06° 43′ Leo.
The two powerhouse planets of energy, drive, relentless determination, resourcefulness, and fearlessness—Pluto and Mars—are sitting on each of the major angles of the Ascendant and Midheaven. Mars is the most elevated planet—making it the strongest influence that dominated and had a continuing influence on his social presence and reputation. It’s closeness to the MC in the tenth house established his reputation as a boxer.
His fourth/tenth house interceptions are indicative of a leader and icon. This configuration (4th/10th interceptions), along with Mars’ most elevated position and closeness to the MC, Venus’ alignment to his MC/IC axis in declination, and Uranus and Saturn in the tenth house, all support his roles and influences upon the world as an outstanding athlete, activist, outspoken rebel, conscientious fighter for religious and political freedom, poet, a catalyst for social and cultural change, and later a messenger of peace.
Unless conflicting aspects show the contrary, Leo on the ASC holds herself or himself in high regard. Pluto in Leo on the ASC doubles that trait at a minimum. The actions of Pluto, especially in relation to the physical body and personality, prompts one to be not merely good but OUTSTANDING in any and all personal undertakings. Its location on the ASC contributed a heightened ego, resourcefulness, charisma, a can-do approach to all undertakings, and a keen awareness and perception of things. It is exceptionally strong not only by its strong position on the ASC and co-ruler of his Aries MC but also because it has the greatest declination of all the planets (i.e., is out-of-bounds).
Mercury and Uranus’ declination alignment to his ASC/DSC axis instilled in his personality a sharp mind, repartee, talkativeness, unorthodox views, and sometimes disruptive behavior (especially when younger). Over the years, the Uranian influence has grown toward humanitarian efforts.
The strong emphasis of planets on his ASC/DSC axis and first and seventh houses coincides with occupations that are either concerned about human relations (ambassadors, representatives) or that require whole-bodily efforts and actions into their activities (dancers, fighters, choreographers), so his career as a boxer is most fitting, especially when in conjunction with his most elevated planet—Mars.
His Capricorn Sun in the sixth house denotes great ambition and a strong work ethic and love of work. The Sun is also parallel to his natal fifth house cusp in declination (see Incarnation Times link above). He had a great sense of humor as well as a deep concern for the welfare of children and the youth. Jupiter, co-ruler of his fifth house cusp, is in the eleventh house of expanding the joy, spirit, happiness, hopes, dreams, and well-being of people around the world.
The Moon rules twelfth house cusp Cancer. The twelfth house relates to public service or external deeds and accomplishments affecting mankind. The Moon’s location in Aquarius in the seventh house increases humanitarian tendencies, such as his feeding the homeless and helping others throughout the world.
Many important life events were tested and confirmed to validate his INCARN horoscope. Fifteen of them are included below.
- February 25, 1964: Defeated Sonny Listen and won World Heavyweight Championship. A day later, he announced to the world his joining the Nation of Islam.
- August 14, 1964: Married Sonji Roi (first marriage)
- June 20, 1967: Found guilty of draft evasion
- August 17, 1967: Married Belinda Boyd (second marriage)
- March 8, 1971: Fight and first professional loss against Joe Frazier
- June 28, 1971: Supreme Court reverses 1967 draft evasion charges
- October 30, 1974: Defeats George Foreman/reclaims World Heavyweight Champion
- June 19, 1977: Married Veronica Porché (third marriage)
- September 6, 1984: Diagnosed with Parkinson’s Syndrome
- November 19, 1986: Married Yolanda Williams (fourth marriage)
- January 8, 2001: Received Presidential Citizens Medal from President Bill Clinton
- November 17-19, 2002: Traveled to and arrived in Afghanistan as a U.N. Messenger of Peace
- November 9, 2005: Received Presidential Medal of Freedom from President George W. Bush
- June 5, 2007: Received honorary degree from Princeton University
- June 3, 2016: Died in Phoenix, AZ
February 25, 1964: Defeated Listen and won WHC
- Progressed ASC parallel natal MC: 2 minutes
- Progressed MC 15° natal Mars: 3 minutes
- Progressed Mars sesquiquadrate natal Neptune: 6 minutes
- Progressed Mercury square natal Saturn: 2 minutes
- Progressed Mercury 165°/15° natal ASC/DSC: 6 minutes
- Progressed Moon quincunx/semiquare natal MC/IC: 7 minutes
- Progressed Sun 165° natal Pluto: 7 minutes
August 14, 1964: Married Sonji Roi (first marriage)
- Progressed Mercury (in seventh house) quintile natal Mars: 2 minutes
- Progressed Jupiter 15° natal Uranus: 4 minutes
- Progressed Jupiter 15° progressed Uranus: 3 minutes
June 20, 1967: Found guilty of draft evasion
- Progressed MC contraparallel natal Mercury: 2 minutes
- Progressed Mars contraparallel natal Mercury: 2 minutes
- Progressed MC semisquare/sesquiquadrate natal twelfth/sixth house cusps: 4 minutes
- Progressed ASC/DSC 165°/15° natal Moon: 3 minutes
- Progressed Moon semisextile natal Mercury: 3 minutes
- Progressed MC parallel progressed Mars: 0 minutes
Public action for or against an individual is indicated by the MC. Hence, the effects of external influences from those in power (MC/tenth house) were harsh, controversial (Mars), and adversely affected his personal and relationships with others (ASC/DSC, seventh house), public perception of him as well as his professional and personal statuses (MC/IC), social plans and friendships (eleventh house), private/home life (fourth house), employment/work (sixth house), external experiences with society and legal matters (ninth house), how society impacted him and vice-versa (twelfth house).
The two adverse contraparallel aspects involving progressed MC and Mars to natal Mercury were indicative of a time of strife, stress, and battles. Mercury relates to judgments, criticisms, and the media. The MC/tenth house shows one’s relationship to, and impact on, one’s public, social position, clout, and reputation in the outer world. Mars usually relates to controversies, regardless of the type of aspect. Harsh judgments, criticisms, actions, and penalties were imposed upon Ali for his vocalness in his refusal to join and serve in the army. Practically all areas of his life were affected in addition to the possibility of his having to serve time in prison (twelfth house).
August 17, 1967: Married Belinda Boyd (second marriage)
- Progressed Moon parallel natal Mercury (in the seventh house): 1 minute
- Progressed ASC/DSC 75°/105° natal Jupiter: 4 minutes
- Progressed ASC/DSC 165°/15° natal Moon: 4 minutes
- Progressed MC contraparallel natal Mercury: 0 minutes
- Progressed Mars contraparallel natal Mercury: 0 minutes
- Progressed MC parallel progressed Mars: 0 minutes
- Progressed MC contraparallel progressed Moon: 1 minute
- Progressed Moon contraparallel progressed Mars: 0 minutes
March 8, 1971: Fight and first professional loss against Joe Frazier
- Progressed Sun 15° natal Moon: 0 minutes
- Progressed Moon 15° natal Venus: 0 minutes
- Progressed Venus 105° natal Saturn: 6 minutes
- Progressed ASC semisextile natal Neptune: 6 minutes
- Progressed Saturn quintile progressed Pluto: 0 minutes
Ali’s progressed aspects were comparatively too weak on the day of this major event for there to have been a major win for him. He had zero MC aspects and weak tenth house aspects. On the other hand, Frazier had stronger aspects to both is tenth house planets and MC.
June 28, 1971: Supreme Court reverses 1967 draft evasion charges
- Progressed Mercury contraparallel natal Mars: 1 minute
- Progressed Mercury quintile natal MC: 8 minutes
- Progressed Sun semisextile natal Sun: 7 minutes
- Progressed ASC/DSC semisextile/quincunx natal Neptune: 7 minutes
- Progressed Pluto 75° progressed Mars: 6 minutes
- Progressed Pluto quintile progressed Saturn: 1 minute
- Progressed ninth house cusp semisextile progressed Saturn: 4 minutes
- Progressed MC parallel progressed (and natal) Uranus: 6 minutes (wide orb)
Notice how this reversal in charges shows progressed Mercury contraparallel natal Mars, which is exactly opposite of progressed Mars contraparallel natal Mercury—the aspect prominent during the original charges on June 20, 1967. Although the same two planets were involved, and the same aspect was involved, the implications from the planet doing the acting (the progressed planet) led to totally different outcomes.
The semisextile aspect often shows things coming to a final finish or completion. Progressed ninth house cusp semisextile to progressed Saturn represented the justices’ ruling and finalizing of this case. One of the things that the planet Saturn and the ninth house represent is the law or legal matters.
October 30, 1974: Defeats George Foreman/reclaims World Heavyweight Champion
- Progressed MC 105°natal Mercury: 3 minutes
- Progressed ASC contraparallel natal Venus (ruler of intercepted tenth house Taurus): 0 minutes
- Progressed Jupiter trine natal Moon: 4 minutes
- Progressed Venus 15° natal Venus: 5 minutes
- Progressed Mercury parallel natal Moon: 1 minute
- Progressed Mercury trine natal Jupiter: 6 minutes
- Progressed Sun parallel progressed Venus: 0 minutes
- Progressed ASC sextile progressed eleventh house cusp: 3 minutes
June 19, 1977: Married Veronica Porché (third marriage)
- Progressed ASC/DSC semisextile/quincunx natal Pluto: 8 minutes
- Progressed Jupiter trine natal Moon: 3 minutes
- Progressed Sun sextile natal Mars: 6 minutes
- Progressed Mercury 105° progressed Uranus: 6 minutes
- Progressed Mars conjunct progressed Saturn: 0 minutes
September 6, 1984: Diagnosed with Parkinson’s Syndrome
- Progressed Mercury contraparallel natal Saturn: 4 minutes
- Progressed Mars contraparallel natal Sun: 2 minutes
- Progressed Jupiter sesquiquadrate natal Sun: 6 minutes
- Progressed Sun contraparallel progressed ASC: 0 minutes
- Progressed Sun opposition progressed ASC: 0 minutes
- Progressed Mercury sesquiquadrate progressed Neptune: 5 minutes
- Progressed Mars conjunct progressed Uranus: 0 minutes
Physical complications affecting the health of the body impact the ASC and/or the first house. There was an enormous amount of stressful aspects (oppositions, contraparallels) placed on the Sun (life, vitality), the physical body (ASC), and the sixth house—which also impacts health to the extent that it affects one’s ability to perform work or carry out duties.
The planets, signs, and aspects involved showed physiological associations and areas of the body that were affected. As already mentioned, the ASC relates to the physical and mental body. The Sun relates to the brain and cerebrospinal. Mercury relates to the nerves, mind, thinking, and movements. Mars relates to stress, the head, and the muscles. Saturn relates to the bones and chronic conditions (as well as shrinkage). Neptune relates to toxins, a weak constitution (or weakening of the system). Jupiter relates to inflammation. Uranus relates to electromagnetic currents and sudden urgencies.
November 19, 1986: Married Yolanda Williams (fourth marriage)
- Progressed Uranus 105° natal Moon: 6 minutes
- Progressed ASC/DSC sesquiquadrate/semisquare natal Sun: 5 minutes
- Progressed Jupiter square progressed Sun: 4 minutes
- Progressed Jupiter parallel progressed MC: 1 minute
January 8, 2001: Received Presidential Citizens Medal from President Bill Clinton
- Progressed Uranus trine natal Sun: 7 minutes
- Progressed Pluto quintile natal Saturn: 0 minutes
- Progressed sixth/twelfth house cusps square natal Uranus: 0 minutes
- Progressed Sun semisquare natal Moon: 4 minutes
- Progressed Sun contraparallel natal Neptune: 0 minutes
- Progressed Moon parallel natal Neptune: 4 minutes
- Progressed Neptune sesquiquadrate natal Mercury: 6 minutes
- Progressed Sun contraparallel progressed Moon: 5 minutes
- Progressed Venus parallel progressed Mercury: 1 minute
- Progressed Venus trine progressed Jupiter: 5 minutes
It was a social event (Moon, Venus) of prominence (Sun) in which he was publicly honored (MC, tenth house influence). The progressed sixth/twelfth house cusps square natal Uranus in the tenth house indicated that he was acknowledged and honored for changing the status quo through his good deeds and humanitarian efforts to the benefit of others and society as a whole (twelfth house). Since progressed twelfth house cusp falls into his natal first house, this also affected him personally.
November 17-19, 2002: Traveled to and arrived in Afghanistan as a U.N. Messenger of Peace
- Progressed Sun semisquare natal Mercury: 7 minutes
- Progressed Uranus trine natal Sun: 3 minutes
- Progressed Neptune sesquiquadrate natal Mercury: 3 minutes
- Progressed Pluto quintile natal Saturn: 1 minutes
- Progressed Sun (ruler of ASC) in ninth house of foreign travel opposition progressed Neptune (ruler of Pisces ninth house cusp): 3 minutes
- Progressed Saturn semisextile/quincunx progressed MC/IC: 2 minutes
November 9, 2005: Received Presidential Medal of Freedom from President George W. Bush
- Progressed MC 15° natal Jupiter: 2 minutes
- Progressed Saturn quintile natal ASC: 6 minutes
- Progressed Mercury parallel natal Venus: 1 minute
- Progressed ASC trine natal Sun: 5 minutes
- Progressed Uranus trine natal Sun: 2 minutes
- Progressed Pluto quintile natal Saturn: 3 minutes
- Progressed Neptune sesquiquadrate natal Mercury: 1 minute
- Progressed Uranus trine progressed ASC: 2 minutes
June 5, 2007: Received honorary degree from Princeton University
- Progressed MC sesquiquadrate natal Mercury: 2 minutes
- Progressed Sun semisextile natal Mars: 2 minutes
- Progressed Sun parallel natal Neptune: 3 minutes
- Progressed Jupiter 105° natal Neptune: 1 minute
- Progressed Saturn quintile natal ASC: 2 minutes
- Progressed Uranus trine natal Sun: 6 minutes
- Progressed Pluto quintile natal Saturn: 4 minutes
- Progressed ASC sesquiquadrate natal Mercury: 8 minutes
- Progressed MC parallel progressed Mars: 2 minutes
- Progressed MC square progressed Neptune: 1 minutes
- Progressed Pluto 165° progressed Venus: 8 minutes
- Progressed Mercury quintile progressed IC: 1 minute
- Progressed Mercury 75° progressed ninth: 2 minutes
June 3, 2016: Died in Phoenix, AZ
- Progressed ASC sesquiquadrate natal Venus (ruler of Libra IC): 7 minutes
- Progressed Sun sextile natal Jupiter: 0 minutes
- Progressed Saturn (co-ruler of eighth house cusp) semisextile/quincunx natal MC/IC: 2 minutes
- Progressed MC/IC semisquare/sesquiquadrate natal Saturn: 6 minutes